Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Saturday 1 December 2018

1/Dec/18 go away kid, you bother me


Good morning Cape Breton.

Maximus Handsomius here from my forever home.

In keeping with notes from Facebook...

For those of you that know us, you know that we love Halloween.

I don't know who likes it more, the kids or us. But this is our Halloween this year... 2009.

Tonya had to work, so I had the house to myself.

I put BroomHilda on the front step, I opened the front door and sat on a stool inside the front mud room. I had my grim reaper outfit on, with the mask over my face. I would sit very still. And wait.

Our house is well known in North Sydney now.

We are known as: The Haunted House, The Scary House, The Big Scary House, Grim Reaper's House, The Reaper House, and Reaper's House and simply as The House.

My first 2 kids, it took them 4 tries before the got anything from me. They would walk up the walk-way, and then stop. Turn and run away. Then slowly come back, look, stop, turn and run again. The whole time, they were just freaked out. They came back, started on the steps, BroomHilda started up and they ran. The 4th time, they started up the steps, realized that BroomHilda wasn't real, but then I jumped up. Well that was it. They started to run again, but were frozen in place, then I pulled my mask back and gave them treats laughing the whole time. This is when I was told that we are The Scary House.

It's weird, you know... they want to run, but can't. That saying, Scared Stiff, it really applies. Their mouth would open, sometimes they would scream, their eyes would open really BIG, their legs would dance, their arms normally would come up to protest their chest, their hands would shake, but they couldn't run. Amazing. I have to give it to the animal kingdom, at least they know to run first, then do a shoulder check to see if all is well.

The next group was 6 adults with their infants in strollers. They started up and stopped. They walked away, back to the street. Now I knew that I was scary, but this was just too much. So I waited again. They were looking and craning their necks. They all agreed that I wasn't a statue, but what to do? They paid one lady $10.00 to come to the door. She started up the walk-way, and you could tell she was scared. She actually had a butterfly catcher with her to put the treats in. Inside, I was just busting, waiting to scare her. Her boyfriend came up the walk-way to "protect" her. Yea, right... she started up the stairs and was holding out the butterfly net catcher as if she was going to poke me. Her other hand was up to her face. BroomHilda went off, she screamed, then I stood up. She FREAKED! All the adults jumped. My God, it was hilarious! I got high 5's from everyone. Lots of compliments and the house was dubbed The Grim Reaper House as they walked away. They took several pictures.

My next trick or treaters were two young girls that didn't have a care in the world. They weren't scared at all.

But what got me, it's the boys, they are the ones that are scared. Not the girls. The girls would get scared because the boys were scared.

Later on, I had The Trailer Park Boys come up with their girlfriends. They all stopped at the bottom of the walk way. They made it past our blow up grim reaper, all were laughing. But then when the got past the arbour, the laugher stopped cold. They got a bit scared when the cat and spider head moved. BroomHilda went off. There was nervous laughter amongst them. They all agreed that I was real... but what to do? Bubbles was the bravest and come up the stairs first, his entourage following. Bubbles is now at the top step and BroomHilda goes off, he jumps because he is just so wound up, and then I stood up and thrust my skull walking stick towards his face. I am sure that his heart come up in his throat. His body wanted him to run, his arms were shaking up and down, his eyes got big as saucers and the scream. That was the best. Because of his reaction, the other 5 all screamed as well. Not a brave soul between them. Then I pulled my mask back and said, Happy Halloween! I am lucky that Bubbles didn't fall down the stairs and take his friends with him. They all agreed, this is the best decorated house and that I was perfect. The last guy said thanks for scaring the shit out of his friend. They all took off laughing. Thus we were dubbed, The House.

Later in the evening, I had one lady bring her son to my door. He has been looking at our house for 3 years now. This is the first year that he got up enough courage to come to the door. Can you imagine, 3 years... We are known as The Haunted House with him.

But what got me was the total of 6 kids that absolutely refused to come up the steps. They all got past the blow up grim reaper and would all walk up to the step. But then would get freaked out and leave. I didn't know what to do. So I just stayed still waiting for the next kids.

About 7 pm, a huge gust of wind and BroomHilda blew over, her head come off, and the cauldron rolled down the steps. She was still trying to shake her hips, but she was on her side. I stood her up and got freaked myself as there was no head. Turns out her head is meant to come off. I didn't know that. I tried to set her up again, but she just wasn't right. I don't know if she is busted for good. But I will see is she will work again. The cauldron turns, but no more steam. Then again, when I put more water in it, I may have put too much, so there wasn't any steam. Her stir stick is in two pieces.

Tonya said that I should have tied her down, but with what? She isn't meant to be tied. Then again, I could have put a lanyard around her waist, tied to the railing, so that if she started to blow over, she would have been caught.

I put her inside and only had 1 more kid come up. So you could say that after 7 pm, Halloween was done. We had about 40 kids total. Weird... last year, it was cold and raining and we had about 80 kids. This year, a Saturday no less, it was warm and windy, no rain, but about 1/2 the kids.

Tonya come home around 8:30 and we took down the outside decorations. It is supposed to rain today and there is nothing worst than trying to put your decorations away when they are wet. I am sure that our neighbors are wondering where the blow up stuff is this morning.



See you next year, my little brave ones....



ha ha ha (Menical laugher like Vincet Price)
Your Blast From the Past

Your Daily Video

Max our Bernese Mountain Dog enjoys the Halloween decorations


Bye bye fur now

No comments:

Post a Comment