Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Translate

Tuesday 25 September 2018

25/Sep/18 my fur is whiter than the door behind me


Good morning Cape Breton.

Maximus Handsomius here from my forever home.

At one point in time, there was a tree that grew in our backyard.  Before Tonya and the Big Guy bought the house, the tree was cut down and there was a rather large tree stump that was left in place.

This stump was big enough to sit on.  The Big Guy used to trim the grass around the stump.  They even used it as a feeding place for the scraps they would put out for the feral cats.  

This action sped up the decay process for the stump.

Over time, that tree has decayed.  Then there must have been a family of rats that moved in under the stump.

The tree stump continued to decay.

Last year, the Big Guy got a charcoal BBQ.  When he was done with the charcoal, which was still burning, he would dump the stuff onto the tree stump.  Which would continue to burn for a few hours.

Well this burn went on for more than a few hours.  It burnt so much, that now the grass has rather large holes in it.  Either it was the rats home, or it was roots that was there.  Either way, there is holes in the ground surrounding what would have been a mighty tree.

So Tonya and the Big Guy have been putting their vegetable scraps into the holes.  This will two things.  1, it will fill the holes up and create compost.  2, the compost will speed up the decay for what's left of the tree stump.  They are not putting bones in the holes as they don't want to invite other critters to move into the holes.  Now, it would seem that only bugs like cast off vegetables.  Bugs will create compost.  Yes, I'm sure that some animals will eat the bugs, but not if they got other food sources.  We're talking about peelings and egg shells here.  Or the rotting fruit and vegetables that wasn't eaten fast enough from their fridge.  Even I wouldn't eat that stuff.  Yuck.

But all that rotting vegetation smells WONDERFUL.  

Tonya and the Big Guy have to watch out when I'm outside without my collar or leash on.  I run right to the stump to get a HUGE sniff.

Tonya's afraid that I will break my paw if I fall into one of the holes.  Like I'm sort of dumb horse.  Not like they would shoot me if I broke my leg.  Right?

Your Blast From the Past


Your Daily Video

Max our Bernese Mountain Dog having watermellon



Bye bye fur now

No comments:

Post a Comment